Masala onion salad recipe – spicy onions in a mixture of lemon juice, spice powders and salt.
Usually, they are simply mixed with a little red chili powder, salt and lemon juice and served. I remember the onion masala served at one of the jw mariott hotels as a side dish with Indian entrees. They were of course spicy and tasted great, but the spice blend they used was too good.
The recipe mentioned here serves only one person. You can increase the amounts proportionately. To suit your taste buds, the spices can also be adjusted.
You can make an onion masala salad in minutes when you want to add spice and pizzazz to your daily meals and don’t have access to pickle or any other spicy condiment. It’s perfect for people who live away from home and cook their own food. Use onions that are not very hot.
▢ ⅓ cup of sliced onions or 1 medium onion or 50 grams of onions
▢ ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
▢ ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
▢ ¼ teaspoon chaat masala
▢ ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder – optional
▢ black salt or rock salt or common salt to taste
▢ 1 teaspoon of lemon or lime juice
▢ 1 teaspoon of chopped mint leaves
▢ 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
- Peel and rinse 1 medium onion. Thinly slice them into rings or you can cut them in half and then slice. Take them in a small mixing bowl.
- Add all the spice powders, lemon juice, salt. Mix well.
- Finally add 1 teaspoon of chopped mint and coriander leaves. You can also just add mint or cilantro, if you don’t have both.
- Mix very well. Check the seasonings and add more spices, lemon juice, salt if necessary.
- Serve the onion masala salad with your meals.