Masalewali Turai: Some veggies are very healthy but you are at a loss of ideas to include them more often in your diet.Turai is a typical example. Although rich in nutrients, it is rarely focused on because of its mushiness and lack of intrinsic flavour.
Here is a recipe that can change the scenario. Perked up with peppy tomato pulp and a variety of spice powders, Masalewali Turai is a quick and easy subzi that will top the culinary charts at home!
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 servings
2 cups thickly sliced ridge gourd (turai)
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 3/4 cups fresh tomato pulp , refer handy tip
1 1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
salt to taste
For The Garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, ginger, green chillies and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for one minute.
- Add the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder and dried mango powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ridge gourd and salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes or till the ridge gourd is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin C||31.9 mg|
|Folic acid||29.5 mcg|