Unlike other greens such as spinach or Swiss chard, kale is sturdier and tougher. To get raw kale tender, this recipe’s technique of massaging a salad dressing into the leaves works wonders, from Simple Cooking with Heart.
Ingredients of Massaged Kale Salad
- 8 cups chopped, stemmed kale
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. yellow or Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. unsalted, hulled sunflower seed
- 2 Tbsp. grated, reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
Directions of Massaged Kale Salad
- Prepare the kale: place each leaf on a cutting board. Use a knife to cut each side of the rib from the kale leaf to remove and discard.
- Repeat with the remaining leaves.
- Then cut the kale into approximately ½ inch pieces.
- If the cabbage is still wet after washing, dry it in a salad spinner.
- In a large bowl, add the lemon juice, oil, mustard and pepper.
- Use a fork to mix the dressing. Add the chopped kale to the bowl.
- Use your fingers to gently massage the vinaigrette into the kale until the kale has grown from 8 cups to 6 cups, just a few minutes.
- Garnish the kale salad with pumpkin seeds and parmesan.
- To serve.