Massaman curry is a rich, relatively mild Thai curry. Cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, cumin, bay leaves, nutmeg and mace are combined with local produce such as dried chili peppers, cilantro seeds, lemongrass, galangal, white pepper, shrimp paste, shallots and garlic to make the massaman curry paste.
Ingredients For the Massaman Curry Paste
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 5-15 dried red chili peppers* soaked in water for about 10 minutes and seeded
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, minced
- 1 three inch piece of fresh ginger root, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 1/2 tsp. lime rind
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- juice of 2 limes
For the Massaman Curry
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1/4 cup homemade massaman curry paste
- 1 sweet potato, diced into 1/2″ to 1″ cubes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, chopped to 1″ to 2″ pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- about 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- about 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
Instructions of Massaman Curry (Thai)
To Make the Massaman Curry Paste
Place all ingredients in food processor bowl and process until a paste is formed, scraping bowl as needed.
To Make the Massaman Curry
- Drain and squeeze the tofu. Combine coconut milk and curry paste in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add the sweet potato and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the green beans and simmer for about four minutes, then add the pepper and simmer for another two minutes.
- Your broth should now be thick and creamy and your vegetables tender. Test the taste and add a little more curry paste if you want a little more umph.
- While your vegetables are simmering, cut your tofu into small pieces. Heat the oil in a medium pan and brown the tofu pieces on each side until they are lightly browned.
- Add the tofu to the curry mixture.
- Pour into plates or bowls and garnish with shallots and peanuts.
- Serve with rice.