It is made from sprouted beans, boiled potatoes and flavored with goda masala. In this curry preparation, the sprouted Matki (night bean) is the star artist who is combined in a thick masala prepared with roasted onion, garlic, fresh coriander and dry coconut and spicy with its choice of bottled masalas according to the different regions of Maharashtra like Kala Masala, Malwani Masala but if you do not get such masalas, you can even add spicy red chili powder and garam masala powder in this preparation.
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 50 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
INGREDIENTS Of Matki usal (Ganesh Chaurthi Special)
- ½ Cup=125 gms sprouted Matki (Moth Beans) (After sprouting it weighs 250gms)
- 150 grams Boiled Potatoes
- 125 gms =2 medium sized Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- For Vaatan:
- 8-10 Cloves of Garlic
- ½ inch Ginger root
- 75 gms=1 medium sized Onion (sliced)
- ½ Cup=40 gms grated dry coconut
- ½ Cup Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 2 Green Chilies (sliced lengthwise)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 small Onion=40 gms (finely chopped)
Also Read: Sabudana thalipeeth (Ganesh Chaturthi)
INSTRUCTIONS Of Matki usal (Ganesh Chaurthi Special)
- Heat a pan and dry roast the grated dry coconut until it turns brown. Over medium heat, dry roast for 4 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in the same pan, put the ginger and garlic and fry until the garlic turns light brown.
- As the garlic browns, add the sliced onions and brown them until they turn brown. Onions brown in 7 to 8 minutes over medium heat. Now add the chopped cilantro leaves. Add the dry roasted coconut and mix well.
- The roasted Masala is now ready. Let it cool completely before grinding. When cooling, transfer the ingredients to a grinder jar. Grind to a fine, thick paste.
- We used ½ cup of water for grinding. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil in a saucepan. Meanwhile, heat 4 cups of water. As the oil heats up, add the mustard seeds.
- Fry until the onions become soft. As the onions become soft, add powdered turmeric now. Add Masala paste (Vaatan), red chili powder, add Garam Masala powder and Bhunao masala.
- During Bhunao, add water as Masala begins to dry (we will use ¼ cup of water for Bhunao) After 10 minutes from Bhunao, oil began to ooze out of the Masala.
- Now add sprouted Matki, chopped cilantro and salt.
- We will add 1-1 / 2 cups of hot water. Simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and cook covered We cooked covered for 8 minutes.
- Now add the potatoes. Crush with palms and add (do not cut with a knife). Add the chopped tomatoes and cilantro leaves.
- Add a little water to adjust the consistency of the sauce. We used a total of 3-1 / 2 cups of hot water in this recipe.
- Reduce heat and cook covered Find out after 8 minutes of cooking. Turn off the heat and keep Usal covered until ready to serve Matki Usal is ready.
- We served it with Hot Pooris. You can also enjoy it with Roti or Rice.