Methi Pitla is a simple yet tasty Maharashtrian delicacy that can be rustled up in a jiffy to enrich your diet with iron, folic acid and zinc too. Zinc plays an important role in maintaining your immunity levels, and also lends a stunning glow to your skin. Just make sure you serve the Pitla immediately on preparation, as it becomes lumpy over time.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 2 servings
3/4 cup finely chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
3/4 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
2 tsp oil
1 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
whole wheat bhakris /chapatis
- Combine the besan along with 2 cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well till no lumps remain.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the garlic paste and the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, green chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared besan-water mixture, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve immediately with whole wheat bhakris or chapatis.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||370.2 mcg||8%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.3 mg||30%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.7 mg||14%|
|Vitamin C||9.7 mg||24%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||92.7 mcg||46%|