Mexican Bread Tartlets: Cute, little bread tartlets are filled with a delicious mixture of corn, capsicum, tomatoes and onions and topped with a generous layer of cheese. These tartlets must be eaten warm after they’re baked and the cheese is all molten. A great snack for children!
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Baking Time: 13 to 15 minutes Baking Temperature: 200°C (400°F). Total Time: Makes 9 tartlets (9 tartlet )
For The Filling
2 cups cooked sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped red capsicum
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow capsicum
1/4 cup finely chopped green capsicum
1 cup blanched , peeled and chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp dry mixed herbs
2 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika)
salt to taste
For The Bread Tartlets
9 fresh bread slices
melted butter for greasing and brushing
4 1/2 tsp tomato ketchup
9 tsp grated processed cheese
For the filling
- Heat the oil in broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the dried mixed herbs, chilli flakes, sweet corn and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
For the bread tartlets
- Remove the crust from all the bread slices.
- Roll each slice with a rolling pin.
- Press the rolled slices into the cavities of a muffin tray which is lightly greased with butter.
- Brush with melted butter and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Divide the filling into 9 equal portions and fill a portion into each bread tartlet.
- Spread ½ tsp of tomato ketchup and 1 tsp cheese evenly over each tartlet.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per tartlet
|Vitamin A||151.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||20.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||12.4 mcg|