This sizzle is a fiery combination of tortillas filled with vegetables served with mashed potatoes with spicy papri.
Preparation Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: 60 mins Total Time: 1 hours 25 minutes Makes 2 servings
Ingredients of Mexican Sizzler
For The Corn Tortillas
- 1/2 cup maize flour (makai ka atta)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- a pinch of salt
For The Tortilla Filling
- 1/4 cup chopped capsicum
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 large garlic (lehsun) cloves , finely chopped
- 1 green chilli , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
- 1/4 cup chopped paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1/4 cup canned baked beans
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens2 tsp oil
- salt and to taste
- 2 tbsp grated processed cheese
For The Mexican Tomato Sauce
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 green chilli , chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 pinches of sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
For The Vegetable Stir-fry
- 1/2 cup zucchini , sliced
- 1/4 cup carrot , sliced
- 1/4 cup baby corn , sliced
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1 tsp butter
- salt to taste
For The Paprika Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika) or chilli powder
- salt to taste
For The Garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- 1/4 cup grated processed cheese
- 1/2 recipe guacamole
- 1 tbsp oil mixed with 1 tablespoon water
Method of Mexican Sizzler
For the corn tortillas
- Mix the flours and salt and knead into a soft dough using lukewarm water.
- Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll them into 4 chapatis approx. 150 mm. (6 “) in diameter.
- Cook them on a hot plate (tava) until both sides are lightly browned. Set aside.
For the tortilla filling
- Heat the oil and sauté the bell pepper, onions and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add the green pepper, tomatoes, corn, paneer, baked beans, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and add the green onions. Add the cheese and set aside.
For the Mexican tomato sauce
- Put the tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes. Peel the skin and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions for ½ minute. Add the green pepper and sauté for a few more seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, sugar and salt. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until it is thick.
- Set aside.
For the vegetable stir-fry
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the vegetables.
- Add salt and ¼ cup of water and let the vegetables soften until the water evaporates.
- Add the cumin powder and mix well.
For the paprika mashed potatoes
- Combine milk, butter and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat until the butter melts. Add this to the mashed potatoes.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until the mixture is smooth (filter the mixture if necessary to remove lumps).
- Pour into a piping bag and keep warm.
How to proceed
- Heat 2 sizzling plates on an open flame until they are red and place them on their respective wooden trays.
- Fill the hot tortillas with the filling mixture and roll them up to make frankie rolls. Set aside.
- Place 2 rolls on a hot plate and surround them with sautéed vegetables.
- Pipe the paprika puree on one side of the plate.
- Pour the Mexican tomato sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle the onions and cheese over the top. Serve garnished with guacamole.
- Repeat with the other ingredients on the other sizzling plate to make another sizzling.
- On the cast-iron plates, pour the oil-water mixture for a sizzling effect. Serve immediately.
HOT-SPOTS FOR MEXICAN SIZZLER