Thoran is a typical Kerala cuisine dish where shredded or finely chopped vegetables are stir fried with grated coconut. Here, I have prepared with a mix of vegetables mainly cabbage, carrot and beans. It can be served as a side-dish to rice and rotis.
- Prep Time – 10 mins
- Cook Time – 15 mins
Ingredients of Mixed Vegetable Thoran
- Mix veggies – 3 cups (carrots, beans, bitter gourd, green peas, cabbage, snake gourd) – all veggies peeled if needed & very finely chopped except peas
- Onion – medium 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Coconut – ¼ cup (grated)
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Salt per taste
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida – 1 pinch
- Whole red chili – 1 (halved)
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Urad dal (black split lentils skinless) – ½ teaspoon
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoon
Also Read: Chicken Tostadas (Mexican)
Instructions of Mixed Vegetable Thoran
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, whole red pepper and asafetida.
- When the mustard seeds are splashing, add the onion and the green pepper and fry for approx. 3-4 minutes until the onions start to brown.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables with salt, turmeric, chili powder, cover and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Generally, this dish is dry and can be mostly steamed after covering the pan, but if it gets too dry, sprinkle little water every now and then until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Finally add the grated coconut and remove from the heat, mix well and serve.