Mughlai paneer curry | nawabi paneer | paneer nawabi curry recipe. An easy and popular mughlai cooking curry recipe made with paneer cubes, dried fruits and spices. the dish is known for its smoothness and also for the excellent sauce of white color that comes from selected spices. It is an ideal curry for a range of Indian flatbread recipes, but can also be served with a range of rice recipes.
The cuisine of North India or Punjabi is known for its wide range of curries made with different types of hero ingredients. It is generally a dish made with a sauce of red or orange color. But there are other cuisines like mughlai cuisine that offer white or creamy colored curries like paneer nawabi curry recipe.
Well, to be honest I’m not a huge fan of white colored curries. Basically you get a white color by not using tomatoes and some essential spices like turmeric or chili powder. You use lemon juice or yogurt for the acidity and green peppers for the heat of the spices. That said, it would also be fully loaded with premium nuts which would add the creamy and sweet taste to the curry. This is perhaps one of the main reasons his fans are followed. However, I personally prefer to have something spicy and flavorful and also think that the curry should be red or dark in color to give it more appetite. to be honest, there is nothing wrong with making this recipe with tomatoes and spices, but it would end up just like any paneer curry.
Anyway, before finishing the recipe article, I would like to add some suggestions, tips and variations to the paneer nawabi curry recipe. First of all, for a chewy and creamy recipe, you need to make sure that the paneer should be cool and moist. preferably I would suggest using homemade paneer for this recipe, but you can also use store-bought products if they are fresh and juicy. Second, the use of dried fruit is more or less open. You can use almonds, cashews, walnuts, macadamias, pistachios and also apricots. Finally, if you want to have a curry that is red or orange in color, you can use red peppers as an alternative to green peppers. You can also add spices like turmeric and red chili powder to make a reddish or orange colored sauce.
for the onion masala paste:
▢ 1 onion (cube)
▢ 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
▢ 1 inch of ginger
▢ 2 cardamom pods
▢ 13 whole cashews
▢ 6 almond / badam (blanched)
▢ 2 teaspoon of poppy seeds / khus khus
▢ 1 cup of water
for the curry:
▢ 1 tablespoon of butter
▢ 2 c. Oil soup
▢ 1 teaspoon of cumin / jeera
▢ 1 bay leaf
▢ ½ inch cinnamon
▢ 3 cardamom pods
▢ ½ cup curd / yogurt (whipped)
▢ 2 tablespoons of cream / malai
▢ 1 cup of milk
▢ ¾ teaspoon of salt
▢ 2 chilli (slit)
▢ 20 cube paneer / cottage cheese
▢ 1 teaspoon of kewra water
▢ 1 teaspoon of kasuri methi (crushed)
- First, in a large kadai, take 1 onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1 inch of ginger, 2 cardamom cloves, 13 whole cashews, 6 almonds and 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds.
- Add 1 cup of water, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely and mix to obtain a smooth paste, adding water as needed. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil in a large kadai.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 bay leaf, ½ inch of cinnamon, 3 cardamom pods and sauté until the spices become aromatic.
- Now add the prepared onion paste and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, until the raw flavor disappears and the oil separates from the sides.
- Keeping the flame on low, add ½ cup of curd and stir continuously.
- Cook until the oil separates from the sides.
- Additionally, add 2 tablespoons of cream, 1 cup of milk and stir, adjusting the consistency as needed.
- Also add ¾ teaspoon of salt, 2 chillies and mix well.
- Now add 20 paneer cubes, 1 teaspoon of kewra water and mix well.
- Cover and simmer 5 mintues or until the flavor is completely absorbed.
- Now add 1 teaspoon of kasuri methi and mix well.
- Finally, just before serving the nawabi paneer, garnish with a teaspoon of saffron milk.