Murukku is a popular South Indian snack made with rice flour and various lentil flours. This is an easy method for making South Indian murukku. The snack’s name derives from the Tamil word for “twisted”, which refers to its shape.
Prep Time- 20 mins
Cook Time- 30 mins
Total Time- 50 mins
Ingredients of Murukku
- 40 grams urad daal
- 150 grams rice flour
- ¼ teaspoon hing
- ¼ teaspoon red chilly powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon ajwain
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- water as required
How to make Murukku
- Heat a pan, add urad daal and roast them.
- Then take the roasted urad dal in a grinder jar. grind to a fine powder.
- Spread oil on the murukku disc. also spread some oil on the part of the murukku maker where the dough will be placed.
- In a fine sieve, take rice flour. also add the roasted urad dal flour in the same sieve.
- Add red chilli powder, asafoetida powder and salt. then add sesame seeds, carom seeds and ghee.
- Then with your fingertips mix the ghee in the flour evenly.
- Hold a small portion of the murukku mixture in your palms and it should hold itself together. It should not break or fall apart. If it breaks or falls apart, then add 1 to 2 teaspoons more of the ghee.
- Knead to a smooth and soft dough. Murukku has to be made as soon as you knead the dough, so keep everything ready before you shape and fry them.
- Divide the dough in two parts and add first part in murukku maker. Cover the second part of dough with a kitchen towel.
- Keep oil into kadhai and put on the flame. Press the murukku maker and move in rounds to get the concentric circles. Break the dough towards the end and press it to the last concentric circle of the spiral.
- If the murukku breaks while forming them, this means that the dough does not have enough moisture. Add some water and knead the dough again.
- Take the butter paper with the murukku in your hands. Then take a small to medium sized wooden spatula and place it on the murukku gently.
- The murukku will be neatly placed on the wooden spatula.
- Now murukku slids in the oil, Fry the murukku till the oil stops sizzling.
- After frying place them on kitchen paper towels to soak extra oil.
- Serve murukku as a tea-time snack.