My vegan mushroom bolognese is a fun spin on the Italian classic. Mushrooms are used for a rich and delicious vegan bolognese that is sure to please the whole family! My mushroom vegetarian bolognese sauce recipe is the biggest deviation from the classic, but, in many ways, I think it stays true to this ultimate comfort food.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Ingredients of Mushroom bolognese (Fat – Free)
- dried porcini mushrooms 30g
- olive oil 2 tbsp
- chestnut mushrooms 500g, finely diced
- onions 2, chopped
- garlic 4 cloves, crushed
- carrots 2, grated
- celery 2 stalks, finely diced
- thyme leaves chopped to make 1 tsp
- rosemary leaves chopped to make 1 tsp
- celery salt 1 tsp
- star anise 1
- tomato purée 2 tbsp
- chopped tomatoes 2 x 400g tins
- basil ½ a small bunch, torn
- tagliatelle 400g
Method of Mushroom bolognese (Fat – Free)
- STEP 1 Put the porcini mushrooms in a bowl and pour more than 200 ml of boiling water. Let it soak while you start the sauce.
- STEP 2 Heat a large non-stick skillet until hot and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the chestnuts and a pinch of salt and fry, stirring until they start to soften and give liquid. Continue to fry until all moisture is gone and the mushrooms have turned dark golden brown. Do not skimp on this piece as this will guarantee maximum flavor in the finished sauce. Pick up the mushrooms then add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the same pan with another tablespoon of olive oil and mix well. Put a lid on and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetable has softened. Add the herbs, celery salt, star anise and tomato puree. Drain the porcini mushrooms, keeping the liquid. Chop the porcini mushrooms well and add to the sauce with the filtered liquid. Put the cooked chestnut mushrooms back.
- STEP 3 Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then pour the chopped tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook 30 minutes until the sauce is rich and thick and stir in the basil just before serving. Cook the tagliatelle following the instructions in the pack, then drain and mix with the sauce before serving.