This classic New York cheesecake recipe makes for a rich, creamy, dense cake. Although the ingredients are simple, you need to worry about the water bath seeping into the cake, cracking the surface and over or under baking. But after baking a multitude of cheesecakes over the years (for birthdays and such, not corruption!), I found that with the right recipe and a few tips, a creamy, crack-free cheesecake to New York is totally doable, even for It’s one of the best cheesecakes I’ve ever had – it tastes amazing!
Ingredients of New York cheesecake
- 1 and 1/2 cups (150 g) graham cracker, digestive biscuits, or vanilla wafer crumbs (pulse in a food processor until finely ground)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 and 1/2 tablespoons (65 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 32 ounces (900 g) full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/8 cups (225 g/8 oz.) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Grated lemon zest from 1 small lemon (1 teaspoon)
Also raed: Black pudding macaroni cheese toastie
Instructions of New York cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C. Wrap the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with a large piece of aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, sugar and melted butter and mix until well blended.
- Press the mixture at the bottom of the prepared mold to form a uniform layer of breadcrumbs.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Meanwhile, prepare the garnish. Increase the temperature to 220 ° C.
- In a blender equipped with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese at medium-low speed until smooth and lump-free, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and beat until well blended. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the cornstarch and mix until homogeneous. Add the eggs and beat until perfect smooth.
- Add the cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest and beat until everything is smooth and smooth.
- Pour the batter over the cooled crust and spread evenly. Bake the cake for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 225 ° F / 110 ° C and continue baking for 60 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the oven door slightly or halfway to let the cold air in and leave the cake in the oven for 60 minutes.
- This will prevent the cake from cracking. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and cool them.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The cheesecake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.