It is a popular summer drink in North India, especially in Uttar Pradesh. Sipping ice-cold Indian style sweet and spiced lemonade on a scorching hot day is one of the best delightful things you can do during the summer. Making shikanji masala is very simple and the ingredients used in masala may vary a bit depending upon the regions. This Masala Shikanji recipe uses my Mom’s homemade recipe.
Ingredients of Nimbu Shikanji
- 3 large Lemons
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- Ice cubes
- A handful of mint Leaves
- Chilled Water or soda Water
For Shikanji Masala:
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 3 teaspoon bhuna jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon chat masala powder
- 1.5 teaspoon dried mint powder
How to Make Nimbu Shikanji
- Cut the lemon into 8 pieces.
- Juice all the lemons using a citrus reamer or simply squeeze them with your bare hands.
- Masala: In a small mixing bowl, add black salt, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, rock salt, chat masala powder, and mint powder.
- Mix everything well to combine.
- Shikanji masala is ready. Keep it aside.
- Add 1/2 cup lemon juice to a large glass.
- Next, add sugar, 4 teaspoons Shikanji masala.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Lightly crush a handful of mint leaves using a mortar and pestle.
- Fill 4 tall serving glasses with the ice cubes.
- After that, add 1 sliced lemons to each glass.
- Next, add crushed mint leaves to each glass.
- After that add about 2-3 tablespoons of lemon mixture to each glass.
- Then pour chilled water or chilled soda into each glass.
- Shikanji is ready.