Have you ever heard of a “national cake”? It is Norway’s “National Cake” since 2002 and you may also see that they call it “World’s Best Cake”.It is quite simple actually: prepare a basic sponge cake, top with meringue and almond pieces, bake altogether, cut in two and assemble with vanilla cream. The ingredients are really not that hard to find and aside from almonds, you probably have almost all of them at hand in your kitchen.
Ingredients of Norway’s Best National Cake
- 10½ tablespoons (1 stick plus 21⁄2 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 12⁄ 3 cups granulated sugar, separated
- 11⁄ 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄ 3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
How To Make Norway’s Best National Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F, with a rack in the middle position. Line the baking dish with parchment paper. I recommend not using glass pans, use metal.
- Beat the butter and 2⁄3 cup of sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix well. Stir in egg yolks and milk. Scrape the dough into the mold.
- In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites and the remaining 1 cup of sugar in soft peaks. Spread over the top of the cake layer.
- Sprinkle with almond slices. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the meringue is golden and puffy. Let cool on a rack in the pan.
- Transfer to a cutting board. When the cake is cold, put the cream in a medium bowl and scrape the vanilla seeds. Discard the vanilla pod.
- Beat in soft peaks with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Cut the cake in half crosswise .
- Place half the cake on a serving platter and cover with cream.
- Place the other half, meringue side up.
- Let the cake sit for 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving.
Add some strawberries or other fruit to make this cake even more “BEST”!