This is a speedy recipe that you can serve up for a savoury breakfast or make into snack-sized muffins for on-the-go treats! Spices like turmeric and garlic add to the anti-inflammatory perks of this dish, and deliver a tasty flair to the dish. Oats are a whole grain, packed with fibre, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Research indicates that those who consume whole grains regularly tend to have a reduced risk of heart disease.
Ingredients Of Oats Poha (Healthy Heart)
- 2 cups Poha (Flattened rice)
- 40 grams Peppy tomato oats
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 3 tablespoons Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , Small bunch finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cooking oil
Also Read: Tabbouleh (Healthy Heart)
Direction Of Oats Poha (Healthy Heart)
- To start the preparation of Poha with oats and peanuts, coriander and ginger, steam the carrots and peas and set aside.
- Place the poha in a colander and rinse well under running water. Gently stir the poha using your fingers while rinsing; otherwise they will become pasty when cooked.
- Once washed, reserve the poha. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet or wok. Add the mustard seeds and let it sparkle.
- Add the onions and sautéed ginger over medium heat until light brown in color. Once the onions are tender, add the tomatoes, oats, turmeric powder, steamed vegetables, peanuts, raisins, salt and sugar.
- Stir to combine and finally add the rinsed poha and sprinkle a little more water. Gently stir the poha until all the ingredients are combined.
- Lower the heat and cover the pan. Let the vegetable poha steam with the vegetables. It will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, you will notice that the poha has slightly swelled. At this point, turn off the heat and stir in the juice of one lemon and the cilantro leaves.
- Check the salt and seasonings and adjust them to your taste.
- The Oatmeal and Peanut, Coriander and Ginger Poha is now ready to serve as a healthy breakfast or tea time snack.