This delicious oats upma recipe is easy to prepare and gets done within 30 minutes including both the preparation and cooking. I have added some finely chopped veggies and I do suggest to add them as they give a good texture and of course a nutritional boost to the upma.
Ingredients of oats upma
- 2 cups of cooking rolled oats
- Turmeric, salt, chopped chillies
- Chopped onions, carrots, green peas, finely diced bell peppers
- Curry Leaves
- Urad Dal
- Mustard Seeds
- Grated coconut
Directions of Oats Upma
- Heat about 1 teaspoon of oil in a saucepan, add oats, turmeric, a little salt and green peppers.
- Roast for 4 to 5 minutes until the oats turn light brown. Add a little water to the oats, cover them and let them cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until they soften.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add a little more oil and mustard seeds. Once the seeds crack, add the urad dal and roast until the dal turns golden brown.
- Then add curry leaves, salt, turmeric and onions and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add the carrots and chopped peas and cook for about a minute until the carrots become slightly soft.
- Add salt, garnish with peppers and once you feel your oats are almost cooked, add this oatmeal vegetable mixture and cook for about a minute.