It is the ultra popular Japanese style savory pancake Okinawan Pancakes, aka Japanese Pizza! (Japanese Food) Okonomi translates to “as you like” and yaki to “grilled” giving you “grilled as you like” and as the name indicates, you can make these with your favorite filling ad toppings!
Ingredients of Okinawan Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cabbage
- 1/2 cup shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon okonomiyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon beni shoga (red pickled ginger)
- 1 tablespoon katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- 1 teaspoon aonri, (dried seaweed flakes)
Also Read: Okinawa Diet: Eating and Living to 100
How to Make Okinawan Pancakes
- Mix the flour, water, egg and cabbage in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat, put in mixture, flatten, top with the bacon slices and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Top with okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, green onion slices, beni shoga, katsuobushi and, aonri.
- Okinawan Pancakes is ready to serve.