This dessert is a sweet twist on a classic Italian olive oil cake and has a delicate tender crumb. It’s a simple, delicious dessert for any occasion!
Ingredients of Olive Oil-Clementine Cake
- 5 whole clementines equalling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
How to Make Olive Oil-Clementine Cake
- In the bowl of a blender, add the clementines and process until they are a smooth pulp.
- Put into a large bowl and whisk in the eggs, sugar, and oil.
- Sprinkle the flour, baking powder, and salt on top of the wet ingredients.
- Whisk them together gently and then combine with the rest of the batter.
- Put batter into the cake pan- sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Make the syrup:
- In a small saucepan combine the orange juice and sugar.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved it has reduced down a bit.
- While cake is cooling, prick the top with a fork. Generously brush it with about half of the syrup.
- Beat the whipped cream to medium peaks, add the rest of the syrup then continue to whip until a bit more firm.