Looking for a quick side dish? Try this onion salad recipe! This North Indian Onion Salad is a raw onion recipe that can be made with red, white or sweet onions to suit your taste. A vegan dish.
Onion salad or Pyaaz ka lachcha as we call it in Hindi is basically an easy salad made with onion rings. The onion ring salad would be the English translation.
It is a quick side dish to prepare and often served in restaurants in North India or in Dhabas / roadside restaurants. They are usually served with grilled or tandoori Indian snacks and appetizers.
They also go well with Pulao, Biryani, tandoori dishes like Paneer tikka or any other rich curry dish like Chana masala, Paneer butter masala, Shahi paneer, Kadai paneer or Malai kofta, etc. with Naan or roti tandoori.
These onion ring salads are basically sliced onion rings spiced with lemon juice, red chili powder, and salt. So you can quickly prepare these lachcha onions at home to accompany a North Indian meal.
Another popular onion-based side dish that pairs well with tandoori dishes or rich curry dishes is Sirke wale pyaaz or pickled onions. These salads with onion and sirke wale pyaaz are often served as an accompaniment in many Indian restaurants.
When I prepare, I usually add chopped mint or cilantro leaves to the salad. A hint of chaat masala also complements this easy salad. You can use vinegar, in the absence of lemon juice.
This Indian onion salad should be served fresh and immediate. So just do the proportions you would use.
How to make an onion salad
1. Slice 1 large onion into thin rings or rings.
2. Measure and keep all ingredients ready.
3. In a bowl, take the onion rings. Add ¼ teaspoon of red chilli powder, ½ to 1 teaspoon of chaat masala (optional), 1 tbsp of chopped mint leaves (or cilantro) and rock salt (or black salt) as needed . Instead of rock salt, you can also use regular salt.
4. Finally, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar.
5. Mix everything very well.
6. Check the seasoning and add more salt, chili powder or lemon juice if needed. Serve the onion salad immediately.