Opor ayam is an Indonesian dish of chicken cooked in coconut milk from central Java. The spice blend includes galangal, lemongrass, cinnamon, tamarind juice, palm sugar, coriander, cumin, walnut, garlic, shallot and pepper.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 4-8
Ingredients Of Opor Ayam (Indonesian Receipe)
- 1 chicken, cut into 4-8 pieces (or use 8 chicken drumsticks)
- 1 lemongrass cut and bruised
- 2 indonesian bay leaves
- 2 lime leaves
- 500 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- fried shallots, for garnish (optional)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 candlenut (or 8-10 macadamia nuts)
- 1 inch galangal
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar, or to taste
Also Read: Babi Guling (Indonesian Receipe)
Instructions Of Opor ayam
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and sauté the spice paste until it is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemongrass, bay leaf and kaffir lime leaf and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and / or sugar as needed.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with fried shallots.