Panch phoron or Pancha Phutana is a whole spice blend, originating from the region of Eastern South Asia and used especially in the cuisine of Bangladesh and Eastern India, Northeastern India region especially in the cuisine of Odisha, West Bengal, Mithila region of India and Nepal.
Ingredients of Panch Phoron Masala
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons nigella seeds
- 2 tablespoons wild celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
How to Make Panch Phoron Masala
- Mix all the spices in a bowl or directly in a small glass jar.
- Tightly seal the jar. Store the panch phoron in a cool, dry place.
- Shake the jar before each use to make sure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Usually panch phoron is tempered or fried in oil to release their flavors and then the other ingredients are added.