A sweet Italian bread, the panettone is a perfect Christmas or New Year dessert with the quality of egg, flour, sugar, raisins, candied orange, lemon and cherries. The procedure for making this cake as a dessert is quite long but interesting. This involves ingredients like nuts, eggs and sugar. Have a wonderful Christmas with this delicious Panettone. You can certainly buy a panettone at the store. Its price is quite reasonable at this time of the year. But do you think this homemade version tastes a hundred times better?
Prep Time: 8 hrs
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Cook Time: 8 hrs 40 mins
INGREDIENTS of Panettone (Christmas Special)
- 4 eggs — 1 egg is for the egg wash
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk — 115 F temperature
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- zest from 1 orange
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour — may need more or slightly less for a soft dough
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 2 tsp orange flavored liqueur
Also Read: Margherita Pizza
INSTRUCTIONS for Panettone (Christmas Special)
- Pour the milk into a small bowl and sprinkle with yeast over it. Stir and cover.
- Let sit for 7 to 8 minutes. Pour hot water over the raisins. Let them soak for 15 minutes. Train.
- Whisk 3 eggs, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, orange liqueur, lemon zest and orange zest in a bowl.
- Add the milk yeast mixture. Go to the hook accessory and add the flour and salt.
- Mix for 4 to 5 minutes, then add the melted butter and mix until homogeneous. Add the raisins and candied orange zest. Mix to combine.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Put aside.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and shape into a ball. Place in the bowl and Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise in a warm place for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, until it doubles in size. Spray a 7 to 8 inch panettone pan with cooking spray.
- Once the dough has risen, place it on a floured surface and form a ball. Transfer to the mold.
- Cut a cross on the top and brush it with melted butter or simply spray it with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for another hour, until it doubles (almost triple) its size. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the panettone pan on a baking sheet. Brush with porridge (egg + 1 tablespoon of water) and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- During cooking, if the panettone starts to brown too quickly, you can cover it with aluminum foil, to avoid burning.
- Transfer in rack and let them cool.
- Keep tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.