Pavlova is a meringue-based cake named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It is a meringue dessert with a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and whipped cream.
Ingredients for Pavlova:
6 egg whites, room temperature (see tip above)
1.5 cups white sugar
2 tsp corn starch
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for Frosting:
1 1/2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp white sugar
Ingredients for Topping:
4-5 cups fresh fruit (blueberries, kiwi, raspberries, sliced strawberries, etc)
Mint leaves for garnish
Also Read: ITALIAN BRUSCHETTA
How to Make Pavlova:
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 225 ° F with the rack in the center of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Use a spatula to quickly stir in 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract, then stir in 2 tablespoons cornstarch and mix until well blended.
- Apply meringue to the parchment paper using a Wilton 1M tip. Set back the center with a spoon to make room for the cream.
- Bake at 225˚ for 1 hour and 15 minutes then turn off the oven and without opening the door, leave the meringue in the hot oven for another 30 minutes. The outside will be dry and clean on tap and very pale cream color (almost white) and the inside will always be soft with marshmallow.
- Transfer the pavlova with parchment paper to the counter or a cookie rack and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, you can garnish with whipped cream and fruit or keep them in an airtight container (or plastic bag) for 3 to 5 days at room temperature.
How to Make Pavlova Frosting and Assembly:
1. Beat cold heavy whipping cream with 2 Tbsp sugar in the cold bowl for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until whipped and spreadable.
Once they are assembled they stay great for up to 4 hours at room temperature.