Peanut Chikki is made with peanuts, jaggery and nothing else really. It is a staple food in Indian homes during winters and one of my favorites.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients Of Peanut Chikki Receipe
- 1 cup peanuts, 165 grams
- 3/4 cup powdered jaggery, 100 grams
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon water
Also Read: Makki di roti
Direction Of Peanut Chikki Receipe
- Roast the peanuts for 5-6 minutes over medium-low heat until they are crisp and have no raw odor. Stir continuously so that the peanuts are evenly roasted.
- Once roasted, transfer the peanuts to a bowl and let them cool a little. After that remove the skin by simply crushing the peanuts between your palms. The skin would come off easily.
- Remove all the skin and keep the peanuts ready for use. Put the jaggery powder, ghee and water in a saucepan. Light the fire on low-medium. The jaggery will melt and then start to bubble.
- After a few minutes it would reach the hard ball stage, which you can check in 2 ways – using a candy thermometer. The hardball stage is 250 to 265 degrees F. I let the syrup reach 265 F before adding the peanuts OR if you don’t have a thermometer – place the syrup in a bowl of cold water. It will sink to the bottom and solidify. It’s the right step.
- Once the jaggery syrup reaches the hard ball stage, add the roasted peanuts to the pan and mix well until the peanuts are well coated with syrup. Transfer the mixture to parchment paper.
- You can also use a well greased plate / baking dish. I just prefer to roll this between two sheets of parchment paper, it’s so easy. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top and roll the mixture to 1/4 inch thick.
- Trace the lines with a knife so that it is easier to cut them into pieces once they are fixed. Let the chikki cool completely. Once completely cool, break the peanut chikki into pieces and enjoy.