Pickled Strawberry Shortcake
looking for a dessert that was not something deep-fried. So it opted for pickled strawberry shortcake. A slice of dense sweet pound cake is served with pickled strawberries topped with a big dollop of whipped cream. The strawberries are diced and then soaked in pickle juice for about 30 minutes, so they are tart but not overtly so.
INGREDIENTS of Pickled Strawberry Shortcake
1 pound ripe but firm strawberries, hulled, halved if large
1½ cups white balsamic vinegar
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
Also Read: BBQ Turkey Burgers
Place strawberries in a 1-qt. heatproof jar. Bring vinegar, sugar, salt, and ⅔ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Pour over strawberries. Let cool; cover and chill.
Do Ahead: Strawberries can be pickled 5 days ahead. Keep chilled.
DIRECTIONS FOR JAM
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries with the sugar and salt to coat, then let stand at room temperature for 12 hours.
- Filter the fruit and transfer the liquid to a medium saucepan with the rest of the ingredients over high heat. Cook until the liquid indicates 220º on a candy thermometer, 5 to 6 minutes, then pour over the fruit and let stand for an additional 12 hours.
- Repeat this process to filter the fruit, boil the liquid and pour the hot liquid over the fruit 3 more times, increasing the temperature by 2 ° each time.
- Divide the cooled fruit and liquid between the 2 Mason jars, pressing the strawberries until there is only half an inch of space left at the top of each jar. Wipe the edge and attach the lid to each pot.
- Bring a pot full of water to a boil. Make sure there is enough water for the pots to be completely submerged. Place the jars on a rack and lower them into the water. Treat the jars in boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the jars and allow them to cool to room temperature on a folded towel, being careful not to disturb the lids or the top of the jars.
- Check the seals after 1 day if they should not flex up and down when pressed in the center. Pickled strawberries will keep for up to 1 year.
For the short cakes