Join zillions of people on this fine night of September when the village of Naples gear up to make and consume more than 100,000 pizzas of every kind, ranging from 50-odd historic versions including classics Napoletana, Margherita, and Marinara! No wonder it’s among the best food festivals in the world for pizza lovers!
INGREDIENTS of Pizzafest
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Easy-Roll Dough Improver, optional, but very helpful
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Use cold water if you plan on refrigerating the dough and warm water if you bake the pizzas immediately.
- use all unbleached flour (4 1/4 cups) and start with 1 1/3 cups of water.
INSTRUCTIONS of Pizzafest
- To make the dough: Mix the dough ingredients – by hand, in a blender or in a bread machine – and knead until it is smooth, shiny and slightly sticky.
- Knead a few minutes less if it needs to be refrigerated. Let the dough rest at room temperature, covered, for about an hour while you prepare the pizza toppings, or refrigerate for later use (up to 3 days).
- To make pizza toppings: Follow the instructions for each topping mixture included in the tips.
- To assemble and bake the pizza: Preheat the oven to 425 ° F. Tap and roll the dough to the desired size and shape.
- Use pans if you don’t have a baking stone in your oven, or shape the pizza directly on baking paper if you plan to bake on a stone.
- Put the toppings on the pizza and cook according to each recipe as shown below. Remove the pizza from the oven, place it on a wire rack to keep the crisp bottom and let it sit for 5 minutes, to give the cheese a chance to solidify a bit and make the pizza easier to cut.
- Refrigerate any remaining pizza in an airtight container for up to 3 days.