Traditionally, these breads were eaten after sunset on Christmas Eve as part of a 12-course meal. With us, we can never wait so long to bite into the pretty spiral slices of this tender, coffee-like treat.
INGREDIENTS of Polish Poppy Seed Loaves(Europeon)
- for the dough:
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 4 teaspoons (15 g) sugar
- 2 packets (14 g) yeast
- 4 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50 g) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- for the filling:
- 10 ounces (300 g) poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- for glaze (optional);
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
Also Read: Roasted Beet Jam
INSTRUCTIONS of Polish Poppy Seed Loaves(Europeon)
- Cover the poppy seeds in boiling water and let sit for a few hours or overnight.
- Heat the milk to 110 F (43 C), pour into a large bowl Stir in sugar and yeast, let stand 5 minutes. Add the flour, salt, egg yolk, butter and vanilla, kneading my hand to work in all the flour.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and let rise until it has doubled in size for about 90 minutes. While the dough is rising, strain the poppy seed water using a colander lined with paper towels.
- Grind the poppy seeds in a spice (clean electric coffee grinder) or food processor, you will get the best results with a spice grinder, but you will have to process in batches Mix the sugar, butter, egg whites, honey, ground raisins (mix in your spice mill or simply add to the food processor and mix) and the almond extract Hit the dough and divide it in half Roll each piece into a 14 inch x 10 inch rectangle.
- Spread half of the poppy seeds by filling each rectangle, avoiding the edges.
- Roll up (on the long side), pinch to seal the dough, fold the end underneath and pinch to prevent the filling from leaking.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down. Cover with a cloth and let rise 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat to 350 F (175 C). Brush beaten egg with oil, bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool. add the milk to the powdered sugar and pour / sprinkle on the rollers.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices.