Make your own homemade, traditional Greek pork gyros wrapped in a pita bread – souvlaki style with this easy to follow souvlaki recipe! Souvlaki is one of the most popular street foods in Greece and for good reason. Its stuffed with well cooked and seasoned meat, garnished with a cooling tzatziki sauce, wrapped in a delicious crispy pita and best of all? It tastes like heaven!
INGREDIENTS of Pork gyros
- 2 ½ pounds pork shoulder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato
- 2 yellow onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
How to Make Pork gyros
- Marinade: In a large bowl, put the lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil and garlic.
- Grate the tomato and one of the onions into the marinade, then add 1 tablespoon of the paprika, along with the salt, pepper and oregano leaves.
- Whisk again, then place the sliced pork into the marinade, toss to combine and cover and refrigerate the meat for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 450. Use the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan.
- Quarter the remaining onion, add it to the pork and marinade and toss once to combine.
- Remove the pork and onion from the marinade, and place on the pan.
- Put the pork in the oven, and roast about 40 minutes.
- Check the meat at around 20 minutes to see how much liquid is in the pan. If there is a lot, remove the pan, and pour off all but a few tablespoons. Remove the finished pork from the oven, allow to rest for a minute or two, then chop into bits.
- Scatter the remaining paprika over the top of the meat, and serve with warm pita, sliced cucumbers and onions, tomato, tzatziki sauce, hot sauce, French fries, scattered mint leaves, ketchup.