Poteca Nut Roll is a rolled yeast-based pastry layered with a slightly sweet pecan nut and brown sugar filling that you see at Christmas time.
Ingredients of Poteca Nut Roll
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups ground pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Make Poteca Nut Roll
- Dissolve yeast in water in a bowl.
- Add milk , sugar, shortening, salt, egg. And 1 ½ cups flour.
- Beat until smooth, Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Combine nuts, brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add enough milk until mixture is spreading consistency, Roll into rectangle.
- Roll up from one long side.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, brush with a glaze of powder sugar and milk.