Prawn Ghee Roast is a very famous dish in Mangalore. Mangalore is a well-known town in Karnataka at the coast of Arabian Sea. Prawn Ghee Roast is simple to make.
- 250 grams Prawns , shelled and deveined
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
- 1/4 Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind , soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 Cup Curd
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- Salt as per taste
- To start making the Prawn Ghee Roast recipe, soak the chillies in heat water for 1 hour, drain the water and reserve the chillies. Clean the prawns, wash and pat them dry.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup heat water for 10 mins. Once soaked squeeze the tamarind and extract the pulp.
- Heat a small fry pan, roast the pepper corns, fenugreek, mustard, fennel and cumin, as soon as the spices prevent to splutter, transfer off the heat. Transfer the spices right into a bowl, allow it’s cool, and grind to make a powder.
- Add the garlic and soaked chillies right into a grinder with a touch of water and grind to shape a clean paste. Marinate the prawns with the lime juice, yoghurt, pink chilli powder, turmeric and a pinch of salt for 20 mins.
- Add 2 tablespoons ghee to a pan on medium flame upload the prawns in batches. Fry from each the edges till mild brown. Remove the prawns from pan. Add garlic chilies paste into the ghee, fry for two mins, upload prawns, roasted dry spice powder, marination masala and salt, blend nicely till oil receives separated.
- Add tamarind pulp, curry leaves on low flame, if required sprinkle a few water. Add 1 teaspoon ghee on top, blend and transfer off the gas.
- Transfer the Prawn Ghee Roast right into a serving bowl. Serve Prawn Ghee Roast as a facet dish at the side of Steamed Rice for a weekday meal.