Almost everything goes well with this creamy pie recipe. Prawn pie is super rich and is best for small portions as an appetizer at dinner parties.
Recipe Servings: 4 Prep Time: Cook Time: Total Cook Time:
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 450 Gram Prawns
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy cream
- To taste Salt and Pepper
For the Pie Dough
- 350+ extra Gram All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 275 Gram Butter
- 5 Tbsp Ice Cold Water
- 1 Egg, mashed
- Heat the oil in a saucepan at medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until it turns golden.
- Add the cream and raise to high heat, until the sauce thickens a little. Keep stirring gently. Add in the prawns and seasoning.
- Now pour the prawn mixture into the pie dough and bake.
For the Pie Dough:
- First, thoroughly blend your salt and flour together in the food processor.
- Cut the butter into evenly-sized cubes, place them evenly on top of the dry ingredients in your food processor, and then mix in short bursts. Do this until the dough becomes clumpy and wet, and no flour remains. This may take a while.
- Now bring out the dough and place onto a heavily-floured surface. Add the cold water in, spoon by spoon, gently folding to make sure it is all absorbed.
- Then divide the dough into two portions (one for the bottom of the pie and one for the top) and roll both the pieces into discs. Wrap these discs separately in cling film and let them rest in the fridge for at least two hours.
- When you are ready to bake, bring out the dough and roll it out, in one direction, on a surface that has been heavily floured. Do this gently and do not flip it around too much like a chapati.
- Lay the dough on to your baking pan, making sure that it goes all round the sides, letting it hang over the rim. Prick it all the way round with a fork.
- Pour your filling into the dough and then unfurl the second disk in the same way to make a crust for the top. For a sweet pie, you can even make a wonderful criss-cross lattice design if you prefer.
- Lightly brush the egg on top the pastry (this egg wash will give your pastry that gorgeous golden glow), and cut four slits into the dough on the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven until golden (approximately an hour at 400 degrees).
- Your Prawn Pie is ready to serve.