We all know spring rolls, especially fried rolls. Perhaps, one of our all-time favorites on the snack list. One of the best spring rolls I have eaten is in a small Vietnamese restaurant near my home. They serve thin, crisp spring rolls to dip in a delicious sauce. And traditionally, these spring rolls are eaten wrapped in lettuce leaves and a few mint leaves. Although iceberg lettuce is generally used, I enjoyed it with cos lettuce this time. Let me tell you that once you get it that way, you won’t want to eat spring rolls anymore.
INGREDIENTS Of prawn spring rolls
- 50g rice vermicelli noodles
- 20 round (20cm diameter) rice paper sheets
- 20 cooked king prawns, peeled, deveined, halved lengthways
- 1 cup (55g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup (40g) finely chopped peanuts
- 20 mint leaves
- 20 coriander leaves
- PEANUT SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red birdseye chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (80g) unsalted roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/3 cup (80ml) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
ALSO READ: semolina ma’amoul
Direction Of prawn spring rolls
- Step 1 To make the peanut sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add peanuts, water, coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Step 2 Place the noodles in a small heat-resistant bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside 5 minutes to soften. Drain well.
- Step 3 Soak 1 sheet of rice paper in warm water for 30 seconds or until it is tender. Drain on paper towels. Place on a clean work surface. Place 2 shrimp halves in the center of the rice paper sheet. Add a few noodles, bean sprouts, carrot, peanuts, mint leaf and coriander leaf. Fold over the ends and roll up tightly to enclose the filling. Repeat to make 20 spring rolls.