Lighten up a traditional tuna salad sandwich with an oil-and-vinegar dressing and plenty of fresh veggies.
INGREDIENTS of Provencal Tuna Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 (6-oz) cans light tuna in olive oil
- 4 ciabatta or kaiser rolls, halved horizontally
- 1 head Boston lettuce (1/2 lb), any coarse outer leaves discarded
- 2 or 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Also Read: Mango Summer Rolls with Ginger-Peanut Sauce
PREPARATION of Provencal Tuna Sandwiches
- Whisk together mayonnaise, capers, mustard, anchovy paste, tomato paste, pepper and 1 tablespoon vinegar in a bowl.
- Drain the tuna oil in a bowl and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Brush the inside of all roll halves liberally with the mixture.
- Add the tuna to the mayonnaise mixture and stir to combine.
- Prepare sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes, eggs and tuna on a work surface.
- Weight the sandwiches with a thick cutting board, large plate or platter for about 10 minutes