- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 8 chicken legs, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 small tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup water
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Directions of Making Punjabi Chicken in Thick Gravy
1Heat the oil and ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the cumin seeds in the oil until the seeds begin to change color.
2Stir in chopped onion onion; cook and stir until onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger; continue cooking until the onions brown, about 5 minutes more.
3Mix in the chopped tomato, tomato paste, garam masala, turmeric, salt, serrano pepper, and water; simmer 5 minutes. Lay the chicken into the sauce; mix gently to coat the legs. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until chicken is no longer pink near the bone, about 40 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Punjabi Chicken in Thick Gravy is ready. Serve hot.