It is a traditional Maharashtrian recipe that will enrich your taste buds with its tempting flavors. Festivals and feast go hand in hand. So make this easy to make delicious vedmi on any festival or special occasion.
- Prep Time-30 minutes
- Cook Time-20 minutes
- Total Time5-0 minutes
Ingredients Of Puran Poli (Ganesh Chaurthi Special)
For stuffing or puran:
- ¾ cup Arhar dal (toor dal or split pigeon peas) or chana dal
- 2 ½ cups Water
- ¾ cup Jaggery (Gur) or Sugar
- 1 pinch Green cardamom seeds powder
- few strands Saffron
For outer cover or poli:
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (chapati atta)
- a pinch Salt
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ⅓ cup Water or little more
- Ghee (Clarified butter) for frying and to drizzle on top after cooked
Also Read: Banana Sheera (Ganesh Chaturthi Special)
Instructions Of Puran Poli (Ganesh Chaurthi Special)
- Wash the dal and soak in enough lukewarm water for 30 to 45 minutes. If using chana dal, soak for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Throw away the soaking water. Add the dal to the pressure cooker with 2 1/2 cups of fresh water.
- Cook the dal for 4 whistles or until the dal is cooked but not mushy. Drain the dal water in a separate bowl.
- Take dal puree with jaggery in a saucepan. Put the heat on medium and start to cook. It will start to melt.
- continue to stir and cook until the mixture becomes thick. Add the cardamom powder and the saffron, mix.
- How to check the purity of the puran: take a spatula or a spoon, insert it vertically in the center, if it stands then it’s ready, turn off the stove.
- If the spoon falls, it should cook more.
- Let the stuffing cool to the touch.
Mix atta and salt in a bowl. Drizzle oil and rub into the flour using fingertips.
Then start kneading dough by adding little water a time. Dough should be smooth and soft, just like paratha dough.
Cover and let it rest for 15 minues.
Making puran poli recipe:
- Divide the puran into 6 equal portions and smooth the balls.
- Divide the dough also into 6 equal portions and make smooth balls.
- Flatten it between your palms. Work with one flattened dish at a time. Roll in a circle 3 inches in diameter.
- Place the padding ball in the center and start gathering the edges, pinch in the center to seal.
- Flatten it with your hand, sprinkle little flour and roll gently in a polish 5 to 6 inches in diameter Heat the tawa or pan over medium heat.
- When hot, roll the polished puran and fry both sides in the same way as the paratha with ghee.
- When cooked on both sides, remove it from the plate, apply a little more ghee on top and serve immediately.