Puto is a Filipino steamed cake snack that is served any time of the year. It is the perfect dish to bring to a gathering or potluck because it’s easy to eat and to transport. So soft and fluffy and definitely better tasting than the Puto mix you buy in a box but equally easy to make.
Ingredients of Puto Cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter –melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- strips cheese – for topping
- butter or oil for brushing the molds
How To Make Puto Cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the milk and egg and mix with a whisk or an electric mixer on medium speed only until the dough becomes smooth.
- Add the water, butter and vanilla extract and mix well for a minute or two.
- Finally, add the grated cheese and stir in slowly using a spatula or spoon.
- Grease each mold with butter and fill the molds with batter until batter.
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with water and simmer gently over very low heat.
- Place the mussels in the steam basket and steam for about 10 to 12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the lid and add a strip of cheese to each dish. Steam for a minute or two until the cheese melts.
- Turn off the heat and let stand until it is slightly cooled.
- Remove the cooked Puto Cheese from the molds and transfer to a serving plate.