This Queen Elizabeth cake is a slightly sweet date cake topped with a toasted topping of brown sugar, butter and coconut. The pretty Queen Elizabeth Cake date cake is a bit like the sticky caramel pudding cake, but in addition, there is toasted butter, brown sugar and a coconut filling. The caramel-coconut filling is the perfect sweet filling for the barely sweet date cake.
- Prep Time- 15 minutes
- Total Time- 15 minutes
Ingredients Of Queen Elizabeth cake
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp whipping cream
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
Also Read: Vegetable Cornish Pasties (British)
Instructions Of Queen Elizabeth cake
- reheat to 350 ° F with a rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 9 inch square (or 10 inch round) metal cake pan. Put aside.
- Add the chopped dates and baking soda to a medium bowl. Pour the boiling water and stir. Let stand until completely cooled.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of brown sugar until light and smooth.
- Beat the egg, then the vanilla. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the date mixture, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 additions of date mixture.
- Place the dough in the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in preheated oven until firm to the touch and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and light the broiler.
- Start the filling when the cake is almost finished. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, cream and coconut in a thick saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and boil gently for 1 minute. Spread the topping mixture evenly over the hot cake.
- Grill the cake about 6 inches from the heat source until it bubbles and is golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Don’t go away! Watch carefully as the garnish can burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool on the wire rack until it is completely cooled.