Ram ladoo is a popular street food snack from Delhi. Laddus are normally sweet in taste, but Ram Laddus are salty and sour and are served with green chutney and grated radish. The Ram Ladoo is a savory titbit made with a batter of dals and spices.
- Prep Time- 10 minutes
- Cook Time- 20 minutes
- Soaking Time- 5 hours
- Total Time- 5 hours 30 minutes
for ram ladoo batter :
- ½ cup or 120 grams moong dal
- ¼ cup or 60 grams chana dal
- 2 cups water for soaking
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 green chilli chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinch hing
- ½ tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
for topping :
- 1 cup white radish grated
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- Chat masala
- Wash and clean the yellow moong dal and chana dal in a deep bowl and soak it in enough water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Drain all the water and add the soaked dal in a grinder or mixing bowl. Add the ginger, cumin seeds and chopped green pepper.
- Without adding water, grind to a consistency that is not too fine, but semi-fine or slightly coarse. During grinding, grind at intervals.
- scrape the sides of the jar, then continue grinding. Do not add water during grinding. If you are unable to grind, add very little water. It should be very fine and not grainy.
- Transfer the dough to the large mixing bowl.
preparing the topping :
Rinse, peel and then grate a small white radish.
Add chopped coriander leaves to the grated radish.
Mix well and keep aside.
- Take the dough and add hing and salt. Mix well. Using a spoon or wire whisk or whisk the dough with an electric mixer, start beating, stirring in one direction.
- do it at least for 2 to 3 minutes. Beat the batter incorporates air, which helps make it light and fluffy. The more air is incorporated into the dough, the softer these ladoos will be. The dough should be light and fluffy.
- Heat the oil for frying in a kadai or a frying pan. When the oil becomes hot, with a spoon or with your hands, gently place the pakora paste in the oil. Do not overload the kadai with the pakoras. Over medium heat, fry the pakoras until golden.
- When one side is golden and crisp, gently invert with a slotted spoon and fry the other side. Turn a few times, keep turning them and fry on a medium flame.
- Continue to fry until the pakoras turn golden and crisp. Remove the oil and place it on a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.
In a plate, take some ram ladoo. Top them with green chutney. You can add less or more. you can also add sweet tamarind chutney at this step.
Then top up with the grated radish & coriander leaves mixture.