This is one sweet the Bengalis cannot live without, and you too are sure to fall in love with it once you taste these super-soft, milk-white rasgullas. Remember that everything matters in the making of perfect rasgullas — from the amount of lemon juice used and the lump-free kneading of the chenna, to the consistency of the sugar water. So, follow instructions perfectly and you will end up with praise-worthy rasgullas. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes quite easy and you will be game to make it very frequently!
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 16 rasgullas
For The Chenna
2 1/2 cups ( 1/2 litre) cow’s milk
2 1/2 cups ( 1/2 litre) buffalo’s milk
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup sugar
For the chenna
- Combine the cow’s milk and buffalo’s milk in a broad and deep non-stick pan and bring to a boil.
- Switch of the flame and wait for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice gradually and keep stirring gently.
- Allow it to stand for ½ minute to curdle. It is completely curdled, when the chenna and the whey (greenish water) separate out.
- Strain using a muslin cloth. Discard or store the whey.
- Place the muslin cloth with the chenna in a bowl of fresh water and wash it 2 to 3 times.
- Tie and hang for 30 minutes for the extra water to drain out.
How to proceed
- Put 5 cups of water in a steamer or a pressure cooker, add the sugar and bring to a boil, while stirring occasionally so that the sugar dissolves completely.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the muslin cloth to drain any more water remaining.
- Place the muslin cloth on a flat plate, open it and knead the chenna very well using your palms for 3 to 4 minutes or till the chenna is smooth and free of lumps.
- Divide the chenna into 16 equal portions and roll each portion into small balls between your palms.
- Put the chenna balls into the sugar water and cover and steam for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to stand in the steamer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove gently into a bowl, refrigerate and serve chilled.
|Value per rasgulla||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||100 mcg||2%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.1 mg||1%|
|Vitamin C||1.7 mg||4%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||3.7 mcg||2%|