Rava modak is an easy variation of modak made with semolina or sooji and stuffed with a sweet filling of jaggery and fresh coconut.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
Ingredients of Rava Modak
- ½ cup Coconut grated
- ¼ cup Jaggery
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ½ tablespoon Poppy seeds
- 4 Cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
For outer cover:
- ½ cup Sooji
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon Ghee
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
How to Make Rava Modak
- Take coconut and jaggery in a pan and heat. Mix and cook till it becomes thick.
- Add poppy seeds, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix and cook a minute.
- Turn off the stove, remove the stuffing to a plate and let it cool down.
- Take semolina in a pan and dry roast with stirring constantly till it starts to change the color slightly.
- Take water and milk in a pan. Add ghee and turn the heat on medium, let the mixture come to a boil.
- Add roasted sooji and mix immediately. As soon as you mix, it will be like a thick paste.
- Keep stirring and cooking, within a few minutes it becomes thick and comes together like a dough.
- As soon as you can handle the dough, start kneading and make a smooth yet tight dough ball.
- Grease the modak mould using ghee. Keep it close. Take a small ball of dough and insert it into the mould.
- Using your finger, press it tightly around the edges. Fill the center with stuffing.
- Now close the bottom part with little dough and smooth out.
- Now unmould and arrange on the plate.