Foochow Red Wine Chicken Noodle Soup – Chicken pieces are cooked in Foochow red wine, ginger, red yeast rice and then served with mee sua noodles.
Ingredients Of Red Glutinous Wine Mee Sua
2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 3 cups Foo Chow Red Wine see notes
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Red Yeast Rice
- 8 bundles mee sua noodles or use somen noodles (adjust amount)
- Salt to taste
- Small pinch of sugar optional, see notes
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Chopped green onions
Also Read: Air-Fried Lemon Butter Cake
Instructions Of Red Glutinous Wine Mee Sua
- In a separate saucepan, bring water to a boil and cook the mee sua or somen noodles depending on the meaning. Drain the water and cool the noodles with cool cold water.
- Set aside. Preheat a large pan. Add sesame oil, swirl the pot to cover the base. Add the ginger and sauté over medium heat until it is fragrant. Add the red yeast rice and the chicken pieces.
- Add the Foo Chow red wine. Bring to a boil then cover the lid and lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is really tender. Cooking time is reduced if you use smaller pieces of chicken. Season with salt and a small pinch of sugar to taste.
- Divide the noodles in an individual bowl.
- Cut out the chicken pieces.
- Generously ladle with hot soup and a little red yeast rice if you prefer.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro leaves