They’re traditionally a dense, fudgy, chocolate cookie rolled in powdered sugar that forms a distinctly crackled top. This recipe is perfect for either Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or just when you’re craving Red Velvet.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES
CHILLING TIME 30 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour
Ingredients of Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
How to Make Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Melt the butter add the brown sugar and white sugar to the hot butter and stir combined. Allow to cool before stirring in the eggs. Stir in the milk, vanilla, and food coloring. Mix flour mixture slowly. Cover in plastic and refrigerate about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Using a spring-loaded scoop, divide the dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls and drop onto prepared baking sheets. Pour powdered sugar into a bowl and roll the dough balls in sugar two times, letting them sit in sugar between coatings.
- Bake until cookies have spread and coating is cracked, 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container.