If you are a fan of rum raisin ice cream, this homemade version may well be the best you will ever try. A few simple ingredients truly create something exceptionally delicious.
Ingredients of Rum Raisin Ice Cream
- 1 cup raisins (dark or golden)
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to Make Rum Raisin Ice Cream
- Put the raisins in a container with a tight-fitting lid and add rum.
- Cover and shake to evenly coat raisins in rum, let sit at room temperature at least overnight.
- Drain excess rum from raisins, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Combine milk, cream, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in medium saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks in medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk hot liquid into yolks, then scrape back into pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick.
- Add vanilla and reserved rum to base and process in ice cream machine according to instructions, adding raisins when almost fully churned.
- Freeze at least 24 hours before serving.