Sama ki khichdi or vrat ki khichdi is usually made on Navrarti or Ekadashi fasting days. Samak is also known as moriyo, mordhan, vari, varai, sama, samvar or vrat ke chawal. It is known as barnyard millet in English.
Ingredients of Samak rice khichdi
- 1 cup sama ke chawal
- ½ cup cubed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon ginger-green chili paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- rock salt
How to Make Samak rice khichdi
Soak the sama chawal in a bowl for an hour. Drain.
Heat the pan and add ghee. Add cumin seeds.
Now add ginger+green chili paste and black pepper.
Then add potato cubes. Saute for 5 minutes.
Then add the drained sama chawal.
Add water. Stir again.
- Put rock salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid and on a low flame allow the grains to simmer and get cooked.
- Once the grains have softened and cooked well, switch off the flame.
- You can add chopped coriander leaves and mix. Also if you prefer, you can add some lemon juice.
- Serve samvat rice khichdi topped with a bit of ghee and garnished with coriander leaves with vrat ki kadhi.