The Schezuan Sauce, Schezuan Sauce Chinese Recipe is a common addition to several Chinese recipes including noodle and vegetable preparations.
It can be made quite easily with readily available ingredients, and by preparing at home you can rest assured that no unnecessary chemicals have been added to it for preservation, flavour enhancement, etc.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 1 cup (14 tbsp)
For The Chilli-garlic Paste
20 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
1/4 cup chopped garlic (lehsun)
3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1/2 tbsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
For the chilli-garlic paste
- Boil 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the dry red chillies and garlic, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, green chillies, ginger, onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared chilli-garlic paste, and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour–water mixture, vinegar, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Cool completely and keep refrigerated.
- Use as required.
|Value per tbsp||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||29 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.1 mg||1%|
|Vitamin C||0.2 mg||1%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||2.6 mcg||1%|