These rolls are a traditional Scottish dish. These rolls are made with oatmeal added to the flour, so they are robust and good for eating with soups and casseroles, with butter and honey, or simply toasted with butter.
Ingredients of Scottish Oatmeal Rolls
- 1 cupboiling water
- 1-1/2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Butter and honey
How to Make Scottish Oatmeal Rolls
- Put boiling water over oats in a bowl.
- Add brown sugar, salt and oil.
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add to oat mixture. Beat in enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into balls.
- Place in a greased baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel.
- let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake until lightly browned, 30 minutes.
- Serve with butter and honey.