Lebanese cuisine, a very rich and varied cuisine, has the distinction of often featuring recipes that are simple to make yet full of flavor. However, the maamoul recipe is not the easiest. The ingredients and preparation may be elementary, but shaping a maamoul is definitely an art. Maamoul is a typical Lebanese shortbread, usually stuffed with dates.
- Prep time: 45 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Ingredients Of semolina ma’amoul
- 3 cups farina (milled wheat flour/ can be found at middle eastern stores)
- ½ cup All Purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ghee, clarified butter (regular butter works too)
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 3 cups dates, pitted
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil (other vegetable oils work)
- Blend dates together in a food processor with spices and 1 tablespoon oil until smooth. Add orange blossom water. Roll 1 tablespoon dates into 24 small balls.
Dough Of semolina ma’amoul
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast in the water and let stand for 3 minutes.
- In a stand mixer with paddle, combine the flour, AP flour, salt, sugar and butter.
- Add the yeast and the water and milk to the bowl and mix until the dough forms. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a mold, press the dough in the center, place the date ball in the center of the dough.
- Place a second small piece of dough on top of the date, cover the filling. Press the mold until the dough comes off.
- Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy