This dish is specially prepared by my Bua for my daddy on rakshabandhan and his birthday. On the occasion of Diwali, I dedicate this recipe to my loveing Bua and daddy.
Ingredients for Shahi Tukda
- 4 slices of bread (preferably milk rolls)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of powdered cardamom
- 2 cups of rabri /condensed milk
- 8-10 kesar threads
- as needed Dried rose petals and some chopped nuts(for decoration)
- as needed Desi ghee for frying
Method how to make Shahi Tukda
- Cut the bread slices into a triangle. Take a saucepan and dissolve the sugar. Add a few threads of kesar and a drop of lemon juice to the sugar.
- Now heat the desi ghee in a pan and fry the slices. You can roast them in little ghee too but I like the traditional shahi tukda so I always fry them.
- Fry it until golden brown then dip it in the sugar syrup (your syrup should not be very hot and not very cold). Soak it for 5-7 minutes, then remove it in a colander so that the extra sugar drains.
- Decorate it with Lachha Rabri, kesar, rose petals and dry nuts.