Sheermal or Shirmal, is a saffron-flavored traditional flatbread from Greater Iran. The word sheermal is derived from the Persian words sheer meaning milk, and mal meaning to rub. In a literal translation, sheermal means milk rubbed.
Ingredients of Sheermal
- 3 Cups Maida
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 cup Ghee
- to taste Salt
- Few Saffron strands
How To Make Sheermal
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tbsp hot milk for 1/2 an hour, then mix well.
- Mix together flour, salt and sugar and add melted ghee.
- Rub in the ghee then adding a little milk at a time, knead into a soft smooth dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 2 hours. Knead again.
- Roll dough into rounds about 1/4″ thick and prick all over.
- Cook on a tawa, first over high heat then low, to cook through, till brown on both sides.
- Smear with the milk solution, cook a little more, then serve hot brushed with ghee.